Carrot Layer Cake

We're back!! 

It's been a long month of isolation, but the giant exam is finally over and life can resume!

But before I retreated into the cave that is the library, it was P's birthday and this pretty cake happened. 


It's also one of the tastiest cakes. I keep saying that all these cakes are amazing, but because this was P's birthday cake, it had to be true -no pressure!


We've already made a couple versions of carrot cake: Em used our mom's recipe and I used one from Flour!

But really, decorating cakes is not my forte. When Em and I made these Fudgy Peanut Butter Mousse Cups, Em forbade me to pipe the mousse after I made them look like little pieces of poo. Em's more skilled at these things!

This time, while piping the carrots, the bag exploded everywhere! It looked like I got in a fight with an orange and green monster. 



In the end, it was a super tasty cake that I could eat forever. 

Recipe (From America's Test Kitchen)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 pound (5 medium) carrots, peeled and grated
  1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together in a medium bowl.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugars together by hand until the sugards are mostly dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Continue whisking while slowly drizzling in the oil, until thoroughly combined and emulsified. Whisk in the flour mixture until just incorporated, then stir in the carrots.
  3. Give the batter a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is thoroughly combined. Pour the battering the prepared pans, smooth the tops, and gently tap the pans on the counter to settle the batter. Bake the cakes about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean, rotating the pans halfway though baking.
  4. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto wire racks to cool completely before frosting, about 2 hours.
For the cream cheese frosting, I used this recipe from last year!



Comments

  1. [1] I think you and Em should have a carrot pipe off. 1 minute- who can make the most adorable carrots? :)
    [2] This cake was super delicious! It was very moist, and the flavor was bright and multidimensional.
    [3] I never met someone who made homemade birthday cakes until I met you. Then again, I don't think I knew anyone who baked things period. Hohoho, how things have changed.
    [4] May your return to society be filled with baking adventures!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Recipes Our Readers Love