Green Tea Cupcakes

I am so excited about these Green Tea Cupcakes!


Ever since another student made these for the Bake Sale for Japan a few weeks ago, I've been dying to make these.  They were so good, people came back for seconds.

They are ridiculous.

I cannot tell you how great these cupcakes are. 

Actually, I'll let Kay tell you. 

"I left a bite of a cupcake left in my fridge. Like a sliver of a cupcake (1/5). And then I bit the top half. And then I was sad. You know why? Because I realized I just ate the frosting and there was no more left. I should have eaten it bottom up."

These cupcakes are the perfect combination of the greatness of green tea frappucino from Starbucks (that may look oddly green, but really oh-so-delicious) and green tea ice cream flavor. If you've never had either, go get it now. 


Green tea has so many health benefits. It's only one more reason to try these.  Green tea flavored desserts may make some people wary, but I cannot emphasize how good these were. 

Definitely one of the best things I have ever made. It has inspired me to make green tea everything. If only I had an ice cream maker...



I picked up some Matcha (green tea) powder at an Asian supermarket, but I'm sure some regular supermarkets have it too. Or look online. Just ask if you can't find it! 




Green Tea Cupcakes
Recipe (adapted from FeedForward Feed) Makes 16 regular size cupcakes or 32 mini

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp Matcha green tea powder

Preheat to 350 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar together until creamy.
Add egg and egg yolk, milk. Mix until incorporated.
Add baking powder, salt, green tea powder.
Add sifted flour slowly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes. 

Green Tea Frosting

1 stick unsalted butter
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp Matcha green tea powder
2 cup powdered sugar

Cream butter and add green tea powder and milk.
Slowly add the powdered sugar.
Beat until fluffy. 




For the little random note of the day


Johnny Cupcakes is not in fact a cupcake shop. But it does sell really cool apparel with cupcakes all over.  My "Make Cupcakes Not War" pin is dying, I'm dreading the day it decides to pop off into oblivion forever.  Hello Kitty is a rather new addition, it's so cute!

Linked up toLark's Country Heart Make Ahead Meals, Katie's Cucina, Sweet as Sugar CookiesMangia Mondays, Muffin Monday

Comments

  1. Wow! Thanks for using my recipe. I feel so validated in my continuous quest for procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I did it justice! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these cupcakes look awesome! & i love love love johnny cupcakes! their apparel is amazing! :D

    thanks so much for linking up to mangia mondays!

    -kristin

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best. Thing. Ever. These helped me fall back in love with cupcakes. Did I just dare suggest that cupcakes could fall *out* of my favor? Yes, yes I did. But the frosting on this is amazing. I swear, I have found my substitute for Haagen Dazs Green Tea ice cream. This legit tastes as rich and delicious as the holiest of holy ice cream flavors. And the yummy, moist cake isn't half bad either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fabulous! Please share your recipe with our readers by linking up to Muffin Monday.
    Thanks!
    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-peanut-butter-muffins

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you make green tea ice cream next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so glad you joined in the blog hop!

    I hope this means you will be back tomorrow to link up to "Made it on Monday"!

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun flavor for cupcakes...now I want these and green tea ice cream, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such cute cupcakes! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these cupcakes! I absolutely love green tea...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun flavor for cupcakes...now I want these and green tea ice cream, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thanks for using my recipe. I feel so validated in my continuous quest for procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it 1 1/2 cups of flour before sifting???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for the late reply Anneliese! It is 1 1/2 cups before sifting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you!!! My husband and I made them for International Day at my son's school, he had Japan. They were a great success!!! Thank you for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, this is a really silly question but do you mean a total of two egg yolks or just the one? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It ends up being a total of two egg yolks! So one full egg plus another one egg yolk -hope this makes sense! =)

      Delete
    2. Yes, thank you very much, looking forward to trying this out!

      Delete
  19. These are beautiful Cupcakes that we would really enjoy, I just love the color. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Recipes Our Readers Love