Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Bread!




I'm a little late for the sea of pumpkin recipes out there -oh well! 


There was some pumpkin leftover from last month's pie extravaganza so I went on a search for some recipes to try out.





In the holiday spirit yet?


It doesn't quite feel like Christmas yet. Even though the lights are up and the themed commercials are in full force, but it hasn't really hit me. 


Maybe once I brave the crazy crowds at the mall...


...or at least stop studying. 


Since I didn't have all the spices and am way too lazy to get them, I changed this recipe up a bit from America's Test Kitchen. Also, if you haven't already checked out The Feed by ATK, you definitely should. It's one of the places I regularly go to for a procrastination break. 

Recipe


1 15-ounce can pumpkin such as Libby's
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Heat the oven to 350 degrees and adjust a rack to the center position. 
Grease a 1-pound loaf pan (9-by-5 inches), line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the parchment.
Line a large baking sheet with a triple layer of paper towels. Spread pumpkin on paper towels in an even layer and top with a triple layer of paper towels. Press gently on towels until they are saturated with liquid. Remove top layer. Grab bottom towels at two corners and fold in half, enclosing the pumpkin. Lift off top portion of towels, and transfer drained pumpkin to a medium mixing bowl, discarding towels.

Place flour, baking powder and soda, salt and spices in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. 
Add the sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla to the drained pumpkin and whisk together until well mixed and smooth. 
Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and, using a spatula, fold together until just combined. 
Transfer to prepared pan and bake until the top is browned and a tester comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes, turn out and cool on rack.



In honor of the holiday spirit, one of my favorite movies!

Love Actually!

Actually, I looked up the trailer for the movie. Bad. 
Then I looked up the first scene. Profanity. Oops, I forgot about that.

Sigh. I settled for two of my favorite scenes in the movie... but really, I love it so much that I watch it in July.




And if you love Billy Mack as much as I do, here's the link. 

Comments

  1. My mom and I watched that during the snowstorm in October. That weekend felt more like the Christmas season than today! At least one more day until we are done with GI ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let it snow let it snow let it snowDecember 19, 2011

    [1] Bananaaaa, wait, I mean, pumppkinnnnn bread. ;) I'm clearly not in the holiday spirit just yet.
    [2] I love love love Hugh Grant's story line in this movie (or any movie for that matter)
    [3] Love Actually will probably be one of the best ensemble films of our time. No offense, but our American versions oftentimes fall short.
    [4] I look forward to some baking posts from this week or next if we are lucky enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Recipes Our Readers Love